Our cutting edge Lotto tools do everything from generating to checking your numbers and everything in-between.Visit Lotto Tools
How to Play Lotto
Lotto is a 6 from 40 game with a jackpot of $1 million per draw. To play, choose at least four lines of six numbers each, at a cost of $0.70 per line - you can auto-generate numbers if you don't want to choose any in particular.
You can also buy a dip, starting from $5.60 for 8 Lotto lines, and ranging up to $28 for a Triple Dip consisting of 18 Lotto lines, 18 Powerball lines and one Strike! line.
To win the main Lotto jackpot, you must match all six main draw numbers. Match anywhere from three main draw numbers, or three main draw numbers and the bonus ball, and you'll win a prize. For full prize divisions and odds look below for the game specific table.
Draws take place at 8:20 p.m. on Wednesdays and 8:00 p.m. on Saturday evenings, and ticket sales close at 7:30 p.m. on both nights.
You can state which draw you want to enter on your playslip, and you can also buy tickets in advance for up to ten consecutive draws.
The Powerball is drawn from a separate pot of ten balls, and prize tiers range from matching three main draw numbers plus the Powerball, to matching all six main balls and the Powerball.
Adding a Powerball pick to any one line doubles the price to $1.50, but unlocks an entire second set of prize tiers.
At odds of around 1 in 38 million, the chance of winning the biggest prize is much better than on many international lotteries, with a maximum jackpot of $50 million before a 'Must Be Won' draw is triggered.
To add Powerball to your ticket, you just choose a number from 1-10 in the Powerball panel of the game slip (or online equivalent if buying your ticket online).
Powerball is linked with Lotto, so you'll need to play Lotto in order to be able to play Powerball, meaning the minimum price is $6 for four Lotto lines with Powerball.
To play Strike! you must choose four numbers from 1-40 for each line - but unusually, the order in which you choose the numbers is important. Remember that based on the new rules from the beginning of April 2017, you no longer need to play Lotto in order to play Strike!. You can play Strike! on its own for the price of $1.
A win requires you to match one, two, three or four of the first four main Lotto balls in order – but they don't have to be the very first balls drawn. For example, you could match the third and fourth balls for a two-match win. It is the position of your matches that matters - and not just how many of the four you match overall.
To claim the top Strike! prize of up to $700,000, you will need to match the first four balls in sequence, at odds of about 1 in 2.2 million.
Each Strike! line you add to your ticket costs an extra $1, and both Powerball and Strike! are now available to play on both Wednesday and Saturday draws.
You can play a maximum of 20 Strike! lines per ticket, at a cost of up to $20, on top of the price of your Lotto and Powerball lines.
'Dips' are randomly chosen tickets, giving you a certain number of prepaid lines without having to select numbers of your own.
They are available in the following combinations:
Lucky Dip - Lotto only
- $5.60 - 8 Lotto lines
- $7 - 10 Lotto lines
- $10.50 - 15 Lotto lines
- $12 - 20 Lotto lines
Power Dip - Lotto + Powerball
- $12 - 8 Lotto lines + 8 Powerball lines
- $15 - 10 Lotto lines + 10 Powerball lines
- $18 - 12 Lotto lines + 12 Powerball lines
- $24 - 16 Lotto lines + 16 Powerball lines
Triple Dip - Lotto + Powerball + Strike!
- $16 - 10 Lotto lines + 10 Powerball lines + 1 Strike! line
- $18 - 10 Lotto lines + 10 Powerball lines + 3 Strike! lines
- $20 - 12 Lotto lines + 12 Powerball lines + 2 Strike! lines
- $25 - 16 Lotto lines + 16 Powerball lines + 1 Strike! line
- $28 - 18 Lotto lines + 18 Powerball lines + 1 Strike! line
Steps for Playing Lotto
- Choose six numbers from 1-40 for the main Lotto draw (minimum of four lines).
- Add a Powerball number from 1-10 for each Lotto line (optional).
- Add four Strike! numbers from 1-40 in order (optional, minimum of one line).
- Choose the draw you want to play - either Wednesday or Saturday.
- Choose how many draws you want to play - up to a maximum of ten.
- Lotto draws include six main numbers from 1-40, and a bonus ball drawn from the remaining 34 balls.
- The Powerball is a separate pot (1-10). One ball is drawn and used in connection with the main draw.
- Strike! uses the first four main Lotto balls drawn - but matches must be in the order they were drawn.
Lotto Prize Tiers
Draw six balls from 40, and a bonus ball from the remaining 34.
|Division||Winning numbers||Bonus ball||Odds Per line||Odds per $7 Dip||Avg. Prize Payout|
|1||6||No||1 in 3,838,380||1 in 383,838||Over $350,000|
|2||5||Yes||1 in 639,730||1 in 63,973||$19,995|
|3||5||No||1 in 19,386||1 in 1,939||$601|
|4||4||Yes||1 in 7,754||1 in 775||$55|
|5||4||No||1 in 485||1 in 48||$30|
|6||3||Yes||1 in 363||1 in 36||$22|
|7||3||No||1 in 35||1 in 3.5||Bonus Lotto Ticket*|
* This is a fixed prize: Bonus Lotto Ticket = 4 Lotto lines
Powerball Prize Tiers
Draw one ball from ten.
All prize tiers need the player to match the Powerball, along with the stated number of balls from the six main Lotto numbers.
|Division||Lotto Nos.||Bonus ball||PB No.||Odds Per Line||Odds per $15 Power Dip||Avg. Prize Payout|
|1||6||No||Yes||1 in 38,383,800||1 in 3,838,380||Over $11 million|
|2||5||Yes||Yes||1 in 6,397,300||1 in 639,730||$17,257|
|3||5||No||Yes||1 in 193,858||1 in 19,386||$554|
|4||4||Yes||Yes||1 in 77,543||1 in 7,754||$52|
|5||4||No||Yes||1 in 4,846||1 in 485||$27|
|6||3||Yes||Yes||1 in 3,635||1 in 363||$18|
|7||3||No||Yes||1 in 352||1 in 35||$15 (fixed prize)|
Strike! Prize Tiers
All prize tiers need the numbers to be matched in exact order, from the first four Lotto numbers drawn.
|Division||Numbers Matched||Odds Per Line||Avg. Prize Payout|
|Strike 4||Match the exact order of the first four Lotto numbers drawn||1 in 2,193,360||Over $300,000|
|Strike 3||Match the exact order of any three of the four Lotto numbers drawn||1 in 15,232||$668|
|Strike 2||Match the exact order of any two of the four Lotto numbers drawn||1 in 274||$67|
|Strike 1||Match the exact order of any one of the four Lotto numbers drawn||1 in 11||Bonus line (fixed prize)|
- The Lotto ticket price has changed (starting from April 2017) to $0.70 per line.
- Lotto tickets start from $2.80 (four lines minimum)
- The Powerball ticket price has changed (starting from April 2017) to $0.80 per line. It is optional, but available only if you play the Lotto game.
- You can now play Strike! onits own (starting from April 2017). Strike! costs $1 per line.
- Draw days: Wednesday (8:20 p.m.), Saturday (8:00 p.m.)
- Sales close at 7:30 p.m. on the evening of each draw
- Prizes must be claimed within 12 months of draw date